Skip to content

Mifflin Survey and Campus’s Response

February 7, 2012

This past fall, the Associated Students of Madison’s Legislative Affairs Committee sent out a survey to the entire student body in November asking a short series of questions about the Mifflin Street Block Party. The survey was initially created by members of the Legislative Affairs Committee, and then sent to the Mifflin West Neighborhood Association, Mark Woulf, the City’s Alcohol Policy Coordinator, Mike Verveer, District 4 Alder, and Scott Resnick, District 8 Alder for review. All revisions to the survey were taken into consideration and changes were made accordingly. In the past survey responses sent out by students at the University of Wisconsin – Madison have been under 1,000. However for this survey 7,038 students responded. This indicates the importance of the Mifflin Street Block Party to the UW-Madison student body. In addition there were 3,201 responses to the written portion of the survey that allowed students to suggest how they would like to see the Mifflin Street Block Party be improved.

Survey Questions
There were three sections of the survey with a total of ten questions. The first section asked student to indicate their year in school (Freshman, Sophomore etc.) and whether or not they attended the Mifflin Street Block Party last year. The second section of the survey asked students to indicate how strongly they agree or disagree with statements posed. Their options ranged from “Strongly Disagree” to “Disagree” to “Neither Agree nor Disagree” to “Agree” and finally “Strongly Agree.” The third and final section provided students with a space to write their own suggestions on how to improve the block party.

 Survey Section 1
Question #1 – “What year are you at UW-Madison?”

  • 7,038 people responded. (See Figure 1)

Question #2 – “ Did you attend the Mifflin Street Block Party last year?”

  • 7,028 people responded. 60% of the responses said that they attended the Mifflin Street Block Party last year. 40% did not. (See Figure 2)

Survey Section 2
Survey Participants were asked to “Please indicate how strongly you feel about each statement”

Question #3 – “I plan on attending this year’s Mifflin Street Block Party”

  • 78% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement*

Question #4 – The Mifflin Street Block Party is a necessary event”

  • 70% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement

Question #5 – “The main purpose of the Mifflin Street Block Party is to drink”

  • 54% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement

Question #6 – “Last year’s Mifflin Street Block Party was too out of control”

  • 30% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement

Question #7 – “People from outside of Madison caused the problems last year at the Mifflin Street Block Party”

  • 64% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement

Question #8 – “The Mifflin Street Block Party could go away completely and I would not be affected”

  • 69% disagreed or strongly disagreed with this statement

Question #8 – “I would be willing to attend meetings to help plan the Mifflin Street Block Party”

  • 21% agreed or strongly agreed with this statement

* These percentages were calculated by combining the percentage of responses that agreed AND strongly agreed with the statements. For Question #7, the same calculation was done but with the percentage of responses that disagreed AND strongly disagreed with the statement.

(See Figure 3 for a chart of this data)

Figure 3 – From Section 2 of the survey. Shows the responses by all survey participants for all seven questions in the second section of the survey.

Survey Section 3

Figure 4 – The first 20 of 3,201 written responses

Survey Breakdown by Year in School

Freshman
20% of the total respondents were freshman, which is roughly equivalent to their proportion in the student body. (See Figure 1) The general sense gathered from freshman responses is that despite not attending the block party last year, they have a strong desire to attend it this year (See Figure 5) and believe it is a necessary event. 91% said they plan on attending Mifflin this year, and 83% believe it is a necessary event. However only 13% though that Mifflin was out of control last year. In addition even though few current freshman were present at last years party, 83% said they would be affected if the party went away. Though Mifflin is often described as a place to binge drink, only 1/3 of freshman indicated that they thought the purpose of Mifflin was to drink. In fact, 40% said they did not think the purpose of Mifflin was to drink. (See Figure 6)


Figure 6 – Shows the responses of Freshman to all seven questions of Section 2 of the survey

Sophomore
24% of the total respondents were sophomores, which is roughly equivalent to their proportion in the student body. (See Figure 1) Significantly more sophomores attended Mifflin last year, with 82% saying they went. (See Figure 7) 85% said they plan on attending this year, and 75% believe that that the block party is a necessary event. More sophomores than freshman thought the purpose of Mifflin was to drink, with 51% saying they thought the purpose was to drink. Interestingly, only 24% said they thought Mifflin last year was out of control, yet 71% said they thought people from outside of Madison caused the problems. (See Figure 8)

Figure 8 – Shows the responses of sophomores to all questions of Section 2 of the survey

Junior
22% of the total respondents were juniors, which is roughly equivalent to their proportion in the student body. (See Figure 1) The statistics are very similar to sophomores with 79% saying they attended last year, (See Figure 9) 81% plan on attending this year, and 73% believe that Mifflin is a necessary event. (See Figure 10)

Figure 10 – Shows the responses of juniors to all questions of Section 2 of the survey

Senior
22% of the total respondents were seniors, which is roughly equivalent to their proportion in the student body. (See Figure 1) The statistics are very similar to sophomores with 74% saying they attended last year, (See Figure 11) 79% plan on attending this year, and 65% believe that Mifflin is a necessary event. (See Figure 12)

Figure 12 – Shows the responses of seniors to all questions of Section 2 of the survey

Grad/Other
12% of the total respondents were graduate or other, which is roughly equivalent to their proportion in the student body. (See Figure 1) Graduate student response differed significantly from the undergraduate answers. Only 28% said they attended last year, and 30% said they plan on attending this year. (See Figure 13) In addition 1/3 believe it is a necessary event, much less than undergraduates, however 76% believe the purpose is to drink. Perhaps this is why they do not believe Mifflin is a necessary event.  Half of Graduate students thought last year was out of control. However, only 36% said people from out of Madison caused the problems, much less than undergraduates. (See Figure 14)

Figure 14 – Shows the responses of graduate students or other to all questions of Section 2 of the survey

Written Responses
Of the over 3,000 written response, several common suggestions emerged. The first and most overwhelming suggestion focused on people from outside of Madison not being allowed in the Block Party. The second suggestion was to not allow drinking on the streets (open carry), the general sense was that this may have caused much of the chaos. Another suggestion was change the focus of the party from simply standing on the street and drinking to perhaps focus on music or other attractions. An additional suggestion was more practical to have an increased amount of port-a-potties. The last suggestion relayed the general sense of wanting increased safety.

Conclusion
Overall the sense from the student body is that they would like Mifflin Street Block Party to continue, that folks from outside of Madison caused the problems last year. In general the perceived solutions of eliminating open container carry, better attractions, and limiting people from outside of Madison at the block party can be a better, safer event.

Bio: Beth Huang

February 7, 2012

Name: Beth Huang
Year in School: junior
Major: biochemistry, history
Involvement in ASM: 2 years (Student Council, ASM Vice Chair, Leg Affairs, University Affairs, Shared Gov Committee, Health Care Advisory Committee, HR Design Work Team on Employee Categories, Chancellor’s Alcohol Policy Group, MSC Director Search and Screen, Public Authority Working Group … a lot of stuff) and United Council!
Reason for getting involved with ASM: student empowerment

Beth was voted in as Chair of the Shared Governance committee on February 1st during the first student council meeting of the semester.  Shared Governance has seats on committees across the University and covering all different topic areas in which students have a seat and a voice. This semester will be busy and productive with Beth at the head and her deep involvement and high levels of connections with people throughout the university will definitely be an asset to all.
Main goals and plans for Spring semester with ASM:

  • Overall goal: ensure student participation, support, and accountability in large university-wide changes this semester (HR overhaul, Educational Innovation, Administrative Excellence)
  • I will be planning several focus groups and trainings to support and provide feedback for student appointees to committees that make decisions with multi-decade implications
  • These decisions may affect student hourly employee protections, the quality of instruction at UW-Madison, and the equitable contribution to transportation on campus.

Favorite thing about Madison: eating an almond croissant from Madison Sourdough’s farmers’ market stand on the Capitol lawn during the summer
Favorite Animal: not jelly fish
What you did last summer: worked, took organic chemistry lab, went to Oakland, CA
Random fact about yourself: I really hate jelly fish

This Week in ASM

February 6, 2012

A quick logistical brief about what is upcoming this week in ASM:

Monday, Feb. 6th: Members of the legislative affairs committee will be meeting at the Mayor’s office in regards to the Mifflin Street Block Party and its future, then a legislative affairs meeting will follow at 7:30pm in the Caucus room on the 4th floor of the SAC.  Surely, there will be a debrief and evaluation of the meeting with Soglin and plans for future work on the spring block party.

Tuesday, Feb. 7th: University Affairs committee meeting, 5:30pm room 3118 in the SAC.  At this meeting there will be discussion about semester plans for working on Fall Break, the Financial Opportunities Fair, health care at UW and discussion about tuition.

Wednesday, Feb. 8th: Spring Student Org Fair at the Kohl Center. Come stop by ASM’s table and hear all about upcoming work and projects and how you can get involved!

Thursday, Feb. 9th: ASM  Town Hall Spring Kickoff. This Thursday at 7pm in 2080 Grainger, ASM will be hosting a student townhall and spring kickoff event.  We want to hear from students about their concerns, goals, gripes, ideas or anything that comes to mind about your experience as a student at UW Madison. Come stop by, bring your friends and find out how your concerns and ideas align with currently running projects or committees on ASM and how you could be an active part in the future and progress of our university.

For a full list of upcoming meetings and events, check: http://www.asm.wisc.edu/index.php?option=com_jevents&view=month&layout=calendar

 

Back to the grind after a super bowl weekend, good luck Badgers, just keep studying..just keep studying..

Bio: Andrew Bulovsky

February 3, 2012

 

Andrew Bulovsky

Name: Andrew Bulovsky

Year in School: Sophomore

Major: Political Science & Communication Arts

Involvement in ASM: Freshmen representative for 17th session and Letters and Science representative 18th session. Organized spring 2011 textbook swap, worked on university affairs, legislative affairs, and nominations board.

Reasons for getting involved with ASM: Opportunity to make a difference in campus life and to help students.


On February 1st, 2012, Andrew was voted as ASM’s new Vice Chair with a vote 13 to 12.  He has been extensively involved with ASM since his freshman year and is the first ever person to run for a student council seat on re-election and win.

In his own words, some plans for the upcoming semester:

“My main focus will be acting as a liaison between all of the grassroots committees and doing everything I can to support their efforts and put them in contact with each other if there are ways in which their projects could overlap. I also want to find ways to make ASM more approachable and to see if there are ways that ASM can do more outreach to various student organizations around campus. Finally, I want to work with all sides of council and help bridge the gap between some of people on council by encouraging an atmosphere of respect and understanding.”

Some other things you should know about Andrew…

Favorite thing about Madison: Lakeshore running path
Favorite animal: Kittens
Last summer: Andrew attended Basic Cadet Training at the United States Air Force Academy
Random fact: He loves hockey and golf

So stay tuned for the work he will be doing this semester, follow him on twitter @andrewbulovsky and send him what’s on your mind!

 

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE :)

Welcoming New Leaders

February 3, 2012

This past Wednesday, ASM held their first Student Council of the Spring semester.  The room was full, the air grew stuffy, and there definitely wasn’t an uninteresting moment.

Starting off the night was open forum with a long list of students wishing to speak to their representatives. Notably, members of MCSC came to speak with a spirited and passionate appeal for Student Council members to assist them in their continuing goals of receiving funding and support from SSFC.

Freshman Representative Mia Akers also proposed and talked about a piece of legislation that would be introduced to council where 2 of the monthly office hours that council members are required to hold, would be changed to be 2 monthly hours of outreach. This would help bring ASM’s presence to organizations and students and help promote the great services and resources the organization offers the school, as well as hearing directly from students as to what should be worked on during the semester.

After open forum, the awaited elections of new leadership was brought to the floor, first with election for the Shared Governance Chair. After a handful of nominations, majorly turned down respectably by representatives, Rep. Beth Huang was nominated, spoke about her work and goals for Shared Governance, and was eventually voted back into a leadership position of ASM.

Following open forum, an exciting development took place and everyone in the room who wanted to be, was deputized to register people to vote. Having more students and members of the University with great access to fellow students will be a great benefit in the push for voter registration, especially with the complications of the new Voter ID law. So far, ASM has almost registered 200 people to vote and the numbers will continue growing. (Voting plug: GO GET REGISTERED, aka find an ASM representative!)

Next was the highly anticipated ASM Vice Chair election. With a few representatives setting out to be major contenders, a round of nominations led to Rep. Andrew Bulovsky and Rep. Libby Wick-Bander being the two in the running. Many questions were fielded towards the candidates, and both touched on their goals, both ultimately the same of ensuring their commitment to the progress of students and fighting for their needs and rights. Other council members debated and threw their support behind candidates of their choice, and after a paper vote with the tension being palpable, it was announced that our new ASM Vice Chair for Spring of 2012 is Andrew Bulovsky.

Council meetings this semester will be happening every other week, alternating with Coordinating Council meetings on the off weeks. Chair Allie Gardner, says that it seems to be productive and drawing in participation from those who normally wouldn’t have been able to attend CoCo meetings in the past. She also thinks that by having more time for representatives to work on things between meetings will lead to more productive and beneficial efforts by leadership.

Fresh Start

February 2, 2012

Fall of 2011 was a tumultuous time for the Associated Students of Madison, but in the end it presented a great opportunity for restructuring and future progress.  After the loss of leaders in multiple positions, this Spring semester will be a time of change and evolution in the organization.

Being welcomed to the recognized staff of ASM is David Gardner (on twitter as @DavidKGardner), serving as the Chief of Staff under the current chair, Allie Gardner.  He was hard at work over our winter break, putting in countless hours in plans for revamping the image, effectiveness and internal workings of ASM.

The committees are getting back into the swing of things and back on the ball with their projects for the University and countless things that affect students.  Hannah Sommers, chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee, is leading her committee on multiple topic areas of concern including Voter ID and Registration, Tenants Rights, Alcohol Policies, The Mifflin Street Block Party and a Student Lobby Day.  Often her committee works in breakout groups and members frequently visit city meetings and talk to city officials about the issues that have an impact on students.

On February 9th at 7pm, ASM is having it’s Spring Kickoff Townhall Meeting, in which many of these issues will be brought up for student input and discussion.

University Affairs, chaired by Sade Johnson, is also busy at work.  The committee handles a lot of issues that coincide with Shared Governance and last semester Chair Johnson decided to have all her members sit on an Shared Gov. committee, increasing student involvement at such a crucial time in our university’s future.  A big project that has been in the works and will culminate in an event on campus, is the Financial Opportunities Fair, on February 27th.  At this event, students will be able to come and get multitudes of information regarding finances that surround the life of a student, including student loans, scholarships, credit and budgeting and much more.

The Diversity Committee just welcomed its new leader, Niko Magallon and had great turnout and support for its kickoff meeting for the semester.  With both new leadership and increased student interest in the committee, we should expect promising work from them throughout the semester.

This semester, we are going to be working hard for students and we want you to tune in and stay informed! Reach out to a council member, post a comment on this blog, email the Chair (agardner@wisc.edu), check us out on twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/asmstudentgovt) and stop by a Student Council meeting every other Wednesday to speak in open forum on an important topic, or hear what is unfolding directly.  As an organization that stand for the students, the students are an important ingredient in the formula of our success, and this starts with communication. So cheers to the new semester, best of luck to all and we can’t wait to hear from you.

17th Session: #Winning

April 27, 2011

Hey guys! April 27th. An important day. You should remember this day. The passing of an era. A legacy that is about to move on. Other things…that I should let you know…but I can’t recall at the moment…so ask me at a later date.

Overall, what you should take away from this motivational talk is that this is the LAST Student Council meeting for the 17th session. Its been….quite an amazing year. So much has happened! (attachments to come soon…because I”m sure you’ll want to remember these awesome things…)

I am sitting here for the last time to LiveBlog to you all….I am going to speak plainly about everything tonight. So lets start now…I wish you had left more comments! I like people! Youre supposed to make friends with me! :(

Well, I have Romo on my left, Ken (my new friend from…UC?) on my right and many more SHOUTOUTS to come. Lets get started, shall we?

Agenda here :)

Also, Nneka is holding the LIVESTREAM here! Check it out :) http://asmlive.weebly.com/

6:45PM Call to order

Open forum

Some quick updates about the Big Red, Go Green campaign on Friday. Attend.

The Cycling team is speaking now. They had things stolen from there cages in the Student Activity Center (seriously guys? Thats shitty. Wow. Who does that?) Discussion on the policy and proceedings. Many thinks for this group to bringing this to our attention.

  • Dan Posca: Speaking about getting 18th session and 17th session for a frisbess tournament….
  • Bulovsky: Team names???
  • Posca: This idea just came up…team victory for whoever wins.
  • Neibart: Im on both sessions. Which do I choose? Also..what attire?
  • Posca: It would be SATURDAY the 7th…the study day. Wear sweats.

Lena: Pleased with the LIVEStream. HUGE SO to Nneka for all her hard work and getting the Live Stream up for everyone to see. Yeah girl! Thank you sooo much for all your work and getting this up. I appreciate it!

  • Nneka: Shoutout to ASM Live! She is talking about 17th session reflections, critiques on how we all did. It is important, especially as it is so important. Spoke with an administrator about this session: exclusionary, white supremacy…unfortunate things…there is just a general lack of action for those who brought something to Council…general lack of Council. Unfortunate to see that words were falling upon deaf ears…she tried to stick with it…unfortunately within this room, didn’t see any follow through. Disappointed in 17th session. Disappointed in lack of action with the case of marginalized students coming forward…hit or miss.  A lot of students disappointed with the lack of action.
  • Neibart: Bringing up concerns about a certain chair who hasn’t done what he is supposed to. He should excuse himself in front of this body.
  • Fergus:Introduction to legislation: ZimRide: I’ll speak more to it later…it is a rideshare program. Just wanted to bring it up. Say what???
  • Chair Manes: Publicly apologizing for his outspokenness…has stated he will not be returning to ASM in any elected position. He goes on to cite the important aspects that 17th session has implemented…All Campus Party and Homecoming will continue on for many years. The Bus Pass will carry on. The Campus Services Fund will carry on with Legal Services to all students. Perhaps even do rape crisis services and other services that are greatly needed among the student body that aren’t being implemented.
  • (cont’d) Do not let ‘perfect’ become the enemy of good. We in ASM rarely take the time to cite all the good things. I wish you all good luck and thank you….for taking the time to make all our lives a little better.
  • We are now taking the time to sing the ‘STAR SPANGLED BANNER’ together. It is a tear-jerking moment…and so harmonious. HOME OF THE BRAVVEEEEEEEEE.
  • Templeton: Talks about the difference between committees. vs. campaigns and the work that is done. Gives advice to 18th session not to create too many new committees..ASM has gotten backlash for that.
  •  Sorry guys, missed a few speakers….had to run out and take an important call. There have been discussions on a few pieces of legislation. Melissa Hanley is speaking on people showing respect, on people listening to each other and taking others opinions into account…she also wants Chair reports to be spoken tonight; a brief recap of what has happened this year. She expects debate tonight.
  • Junger: Speaking on improving Student Government. Also, the issue on sustainability. Does not think it is within the perview of 17th session to do so for the 18th session. Reflecting on his time in ASM. Disagreements, debates, sharing this time together….the chance to grow as a person..speaks about his time at this University working for Liz Waters and then coming to be Chair of ASM last year…saying his last good byes…saying thank you for all the hard work everyone has done..improving upon the 16th session and becoming the issues of 17th session…let 18th session decide for themselves…

8:14PM 5 minute recess to figure out recording problems.

While we have this time together..I am now to do the SHOUTOUTS that I promised. Hi Colleen. Hi Rory (thanks for taking pics!). Hi Hannah. Hi Anne!. Hi Ade. Hi Ali (thanks for staying!!!) Hi Patrick…I’ll add more later I promise :)

8:20PM

Chair Williams to speak in Open Forum. He requires all members of the Council to close their computers. Not me!!! Speaks on a number of successes for the ASM 17th session. (I will attach the speech momentarily)

  • GSD motto: GET SHIT DONE!
  • National and international attention as student leadership
  • Opportunity to meet with the current President
  • Fall gubernatorial debate
  • ASM helped students become engaged in the legislative and voting process
  • Legislative affairs work-voting, housing fair etc
  • New Badger Partnership-around the clock work of certain members of ASM
  • SSFC work with transparency, new funding streams in the CSF, work with non allocables and GSSF groups
  • Finance committee-creating more legitimate and transparent funding stream
  • SACGB worked hard
  • Noms Board-flawless in getting positions appointed
  • Press Office the most improved and will continue to be a pivotal and crucial group in the future
  • Diversity committee turned itself completely around
  • University affairs completely successful in re-branding itself
  • Shared Governance….amazing.
  • Passed ASM Internal budget—to help students tremendously
  • Sponsor All Campus Party and Homecoming for the future
  • Formed new Government Relations position to start on July 1st…advocate for new legislation to affect students…
  • Many more accomplishments….etc. New ASM Ice cream flavor, new twitter handle @DrunkDood….Adam hasn’t cut his hair, Manes and his beard…
  • Williams proud of his leadership and the 17th session…our legacy isnt one of flashy gimmicks….one of substance and merit…firmly believe ASM is a better place because of long hours and commitment…17th session by accomplishment and attitude of success.
  • STANDING OVATION BY COUNCIL.

8:34PM So….we’re still open forum…Williams speaking on advice to 18th session, his work etc..

  • Johnson: And the chairs congratulate each other…

8:40PM

  • Adoption of agenda…Johnson ZimRide a great idea. This is something that has been an issue and should be brought up..lets bring this up, talk about it, take a vote..he might be talking about NBP as well….oh hey! He is. Cool.
  • Discussion on keeping ‘New Legislation’ on the agenda…no decision at the moment.
  • Johnson: Motion to consent to A,C,F,G to unanimous consent. PASSES
  • Fergus: Motion to table items 8 and 9…seconded. To end of agenda? 9-5…PASSES
  • Moving CSF to first item…CARRIES.

8:49PM

Campus Services Fund

  • Manes: Talk about it. If it is a sound proposal, take it up! We had an entire year to talk about it. Is it a good policy or a bad one?
  • Close Q&A
  • Fergus: We have spoken a lot about this. Unless you have significant amendments…this is good sound legislation and a way for ASM and student body to support student services on campus…campaign promise for students who ran all over campus…gives opportunity for students to bring forth proposals and ASM is forced to listen..increases democracy. Students hold ASM directly accountable for their wants and needs. If no major changes to this legislation…lets vote.
  • Roll Call Vote 15-4-1 PASSES

8:55PM Sustainability Liaison.

  • Fergus: We have been working on so many things…with 7 people…I have been so proud of my committee members, but we simple have not been able to address Sustainability in the way we want to. I want ASM to be a leader in sustainability. ….doesnt belong in UA or Legislative Affairs…not just city or state issue…its a University issue. Needs its own committee, encompasses more than just a ‘pet issue’…if you think ASM should be working with sustainability in some measure…support this.
  • <9:10> still discussing the same thing. That University Affairs can’t handle this…that it needs its own committee. Boom. Done. Whats next?
  • <9:20> still discussing same thing. Same arguments: dont impose this on 18th session vs. setting it up for 18th session. …and this is the legislation that never ends…it just goes on and on my friend! Some people…..arent paying attention. Bahah.
  • Sustainability just died. Slowly. Not too painfully….<foreshadowing> I feel like it will be back someday…

9:30PM

Onto Eligibility Bylaw Changes

  • Cale asks that we don’t kill this baby…I find this in poor taste.
  • Discussion on changes and amendments to the bylaw changes. Some general confusion…including me. Call to question. No one is quite sure….calling to question on everything except…something with letters and numbers. No objection.
  • Discussion. Lots of it.
  • Roll call vote. 3-8-6 FAILS.

9:48PM Onto NEW BUSINESS

  • Fergus: ZimRide- ride share program. Intern thought about it…there are ride share boards in some of the dorms, in the Union…but not utilized, particularly because there are no cars. ..asking for money from Town Hall mtgs, not going to be used, from Intern Orientation, from Housing and Tenant Support services…(pulling from line items that haven’t been utilized in full)
  • Talking about security issues, how they chose ZimRide, etc.
  • Williams: Implementation?
  • Fergus: Just need to sign the documentation.
  • Williams: sounds like 15th session and attempting to create the Tenant Rating Website.
  • Fergus: Not at all!
  • More discussion services, intra-campus ride share program, how the research came about…why its a good idea…there are ride share boards…this would be able to restrict access to just this program…talking about accountability procedures…students would sign a waiver to use this. No ramifications to ASM. Aggregate total: $36,000.
  • Is this in the budget we haven’t used? Yes. 17th session year.
  • –Point of info: money not used rolls over into Reserve Account
  • Junger:We can fully fund this for 3 years…have the funds.
  • Hanley: Lets use this….do something…give ourselves one last victory…as its been stated, this money was supposed to be used in a different place, wasn’t used. This is a good service…lets do it.
  • —>Original motion-$36,000 proposal
  • Williams: under any other circumstances, this would require a subcommittee, a research proposal etc. I haven’t really seen this fleshed out. $1,000 a month is a lot..the part that scares me the most is locking it up for 3 years.  A midnight signing of the 17th session…irresponsible. 18th session should spend the time to look into it.
  • Neibart: Are there any other ways to implement this? Must it be 3 years?
  • Fergus;  We might be able to have some negotiation power.
  • Junger:Hasn’t fully been fleshed out…lets limit debate. We have other things to do…

10:23PM

More discussion on how well University Affairs has done this semester. But, is it ready? Should there be a sunset clause? Many hesitant to approve that much money….could it be done more efficiently with a different company/a different way for less?

Voting on entire legislation-with amendments and sunset clause. For $36,000. VOTE of 14-3-0. PASSES

10:36PM

Motion to adjourn that fails 6-8.

Onto ASM Stance on NBP.

  • Johnson: Rationale was that there are a lot of opinions on Student Council-everyone’s been talking about it. Took action in December to learn more about it. Working with important bodies on campus-shared governance bodies…and been in on this for the entire semester. If Council members don’t have a good sense of how they would vote on this…then they aren’t doing there job. Many people have asked why ASM hasn’t taken a stance on this. Want Council to shape the argument and have insightful debate…I hope we act on this tonight. We owe it to our constituents who are and aren’t involved. Students want to hear what we have to think…we owe it to our constituents.
  • Discussion on constituents and if there really is a call to have this debate, make this stance.
  • Fergus: I have purposefully been silent about my position. I have chosen to remain silent because I am graduating and leaving and I won’t be a student here any longer so this wont affect me. But I am speaking now. I do not support this. This is not the institution I grew up knowing and not what I would have come to if I knew what it was then…this is not privatization. I am calling bullshit. It is making it more like an Ivy League school..more pretentious, more expensive…this is not the Wisconsin I grew up in.. we are more humble, more….we can build an incredible world class university on a low tuition model! As a working class student with some scholarships and 3 jobs, I could afford that. Under what the Chancellor wants to do, I could not afford that. I simply cant. I have a friend who is leaving for Illinois because she can’t afford it. Another student had to get another job. This is a world class Univeristy and we’ve gotten there but what we do well-our alumni, our students, our faculty, our taxpayers…its gotten to the point where its not the same university. It should be open and able for students who are intellectually capable of being here…not whether or not they can afford it.
  • Williams: I have a lengthy, written out motion. —stands at the front of the room. Rights for students, unions, university employees, faculty, staff…that higher education be affordbale and accessible to the families of WI. Provide need based financial aid. Ensure fairness and equity. We all agreed that proposals coming be verified by appropriate committees (lists them) Brandon goes into a personal stories…his parents haven’t been to college…he is a first generation student, in effect. He feels the effects, laughs and cries along with students–thinks proposal isnt perfect but there are many points that allow for…mitigation. –>I think this model is the only way our institution will succeed in the future.
  • Johnson: Similar story. Lets not blame this for everything that’s wrong in education. Being opposed to this legislation means that everything that has gone on in the past 10 years, will continue to go on. Are we going to have to cut programs, faculty etc? This is a sucky situation for the entire state. I am not ready to sacrifice ‘good’ for ‘perfect’. I think our university would get along well with that…lets shoot for perfect, but not take ‘good’ off the table… this is good, guys. I think there are legitimate concerns and I think we’ve addressed them. I think we should support this…while pushing for changes. Visit legislators. Join the groups and rallies…we each have our own individual legislators…this is something we can do. We can’t jut write this off…let’s take this and make it better. Let’s get guarantees …I think William’s proposal is good.

Question and Answer:

  • Shared Governance-that it remains the same…does that make it become stronger? Williams says yes. Establish ourselves as well reasoned individuals. Esp when it comes to faculty-senate
  • Nothing new established by the public authority model-regrets how situation was handled…ultimate outcome at some point have to overcome the fact that this is going to make the University better.
  • Do you think that its cowardly for this body to approve this….and then leave it for 18th session to deal with? the legislation is very specific…passing this through in the last meeting for next session to carry this on and follow through…when you don’t know if 18th session agrees with it?
  • No! It falls only under 17th session. Legitimacy in the above question, this establishes that at the very least there will be student disagreement with the proposal…
  • DEBATE

11:24PM Debating Chair William’s amendment in support of the NBP.

  • Cale: based on principle, I don’t support this. I am going significantly into debt from going here. I am in state, getting scholarships. working 2-3 jobs. I want everyone to look at themselves and ask if thats what education is supposed to look like…I thnk that budget cuts, constant series of budget cut…I don’t support taking a stance for students. I would push for things that directly involve students…anytime we are looking at outside legislation, I am reluctant to take a stance on the disinterested student body without sounding them out…only way I would vote yes would be if it included a referendum for student input…
  • Neibart: I am an out of state student…I pay more but significantly less than some other students…this is the best situation the University can ask for. With cuts, many programs will either be strongly lessened or totally cut. Quality of education will decrease…my parents want me to go to a different school…however, I have never felt so empowered to be a student than through her…but I also need whats best for my eduction…the NBP is the best situation for this campus…we will be protecting Shared Gov, allowing students who can’t afford it, the means to afford it, won’t be discrediting minorities.
  • Williams:friendly amendment, that we support the model so long as it supports a reasonable tuition model…that would say what we advocated for but in the terms of this model…more discussion…missed a bit…

11:33PM

  • Hanley: I could add my personal story, we represent a lot but that’s not what we’re here to discuss. My biggest concern is not privatization…its that we don’t know down the road 6-8 years down the road what will happen in the biennial budget…going to have to have a tuition hike in the future to cover costs…can’t sit here and speculate. I would want a model to pass…and wouldnt cut the budget..
  • if anyone in this moment leaves the room, there will not be a vote. Cale packs his things and leaves. No quorum.
  • Roll call for quorum-the number is 12 because there are 23 members.
  • Quorum is HERE at 13 members.

Roll call on the stance to support with A-shared governance clause B-students on board of trustees….missed the specifics. Goes to ‘F’. Specifics to follow.

12-0-1 motion carries. onto main motion

11:39PM

Neibart speaks on the information sessions. On how ASM hasn’t previously taken a stance.

Roll call vote. 12-0-1. Motion carries.

Back into open debate. Williams given back the chairship.

Reports of Chairs-the Chairs are giving their reports of their successes and recent accomplishments. I really don’t feel like reiterating. You can read their chair reports.

While they are going around and summarizing…I just want to make a few announcements:

-ASM Appreciation Dinner will be held THIS FRIDAY April 27th in the Caucus Rm, 4th floor of the SAC. Come and congratulate the 17th session and say good bye to those who are graduating and leaving. 5:30-7:30PM. Hope to see you there!

-SAC Finals Final Bash Friday May 6th 5-Midnight 3rd and 4th floors of the SAC. Food, fun and more! Details are in your inbox, check it out.

Also, I hereby give my wholehearted support and recommendation to Ade Afolayan as the 18th session Press Office Director. I will be speaking in Open Forum on Sunday for the first 18th session Student Council meeting in her support and meeting with the future Noms Board Chair to give my further recommendations.

More wrap ups. Talking about being friends, being family, wearing ties…#Winning.

Its been a long night, not quite what I expected. Definitely bittersweet to be leaving, but hopefully I’ll go the way of the legendary Ken Harris…whose name lives on in Press Office infamy. The Press Office made some huge changes, had amazing amounts of success and I hope they continue on with the full support of ASM to do their thing. I believe I have left them with the tools to succeed in the future and I hope no one hinders that.

11:53PM

Oh no. There are tears-Chair Katy Ziebell cries happy tears ;) Andrea’s voice seems to be cracking…so much love. So much love.

And….Fergus seeks to bring everyone back to gloom-says the Council has disrespected him and doesn’t respect the work of his committee.

  • Chair Williams ultimately thinks the 17th session didn’t go quite the way he wanted it to. He says chairs come in with an ideology and naivete. His hope is that he did a good enough job representing everyone on this body, running meetings efficiently, handling things outside of meetings effectively behind the scenes, everyone has at least acknowledged that 17th session has accomplished a lot. He thinks his time with ASM is almost completed…it is hard to be part of a body that doesn’t fully agree on its purpose…almost needs to be unanimously elected…where all members agree entirely and philisophically on its purpose.…probably won’t happen. Had a lot of successes and perhaps failures, but the failures weren’t necessarily due to members on Council but more to circumstances…
  • Nichols-loves this organization, love ASM and its ability to control seg fees, all the things that it can enact…what, if you could pass one thing on to the next session, one thing you could get done, one piece of advice, one thing you wish you would have had…what would you pass on?
  • Williams: Services, Advocacy, and membership-engaging students on campus. Can only come though being a legitimate organization. Those 3 pillars.

Vice Chair report

  • Johnson: You should all read my report. Its been a hell of a 2 year ride-jumping into Legislative Affairs, when there was no faith in the committee and turning it completely around, very happy about that. Leaving a positive legacy for those who know what we did. Thanks to everyone…

Call for adjournment. Thanks guys :) Be nice to my minions. I have trained them well and I hope they won’t let you down. Any question, comments or concerns…..don’t contact me. I’m closed from business. Cheers! ;)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 196 other followers