Skip to content

It is so ON! Not even kidding. Let’s liveblog

November 11, 2009

12:00 And we come to a close. Wow. This meeting got a little snippy and there are many things we didn’t get to, but a lot of big issues were addressed. Next Wednesday is gonna be interesting. Well, I’ve got things to do. Thanks for stopping by and have a good night.

11:57 14-4-1 we are now in debate of the resolution. Quorum call. Don’t think Templeton wants this resolution to get very far.

11:53 Just received the decision of Student Judiciary in the case of CFACT vs. SSFC. It is ruled that while SSFC did wrongly rule that CFACT violated UW and ASM financial bylaws, they were still denied based on failing to meet other criteria. Therefore there appeal for another eligibility hearing is denied. You heard that here first! Just got the news two minutes ago. Meanwhile, Student Council is in the question and answer about the resolution of support for equal labor rights for all UW workers.

11:49 The budget with Gosselin’s amendments passes to go before SSFC. Chair Beemsterboer is not happy.

11:45 Failed motion to extend debate. Vote first on all amendments, then the budget.

11:43 Is Gosselin filibustering to make sure all of his amendments go through? Intriguing. Political maneuvering is always fun to watch.

11:40 We’re still on debate. We’re not calling the question yet!

11:38 Quorum call! Running outta time, guys.

11:29 8-8-5 it’s a tie! Chair Junger gets to vote: he votes “aye”. So the $50k for this service stays alive for now. We’re on the main question for the budget now. I have butterflies in my stomach!

11:20 Gosselin’s big amendment passed. Paulson makes motion to add $50,000 to housing and tenant support services.

11:19 Vote to limit debate on internal budget to 11:45 p.m.

11:16 Discussing the pros and cons of $16,000 for someone to upkeep technology and update the website. Denied amendment to remove that money. We need to reach out to the people. This is the 21st century. We must master teh interwebz.

11:08 So, they voted to keep the Creative Works budget at $5k. Also, the Press Office would keep the same structure with more hours allowed for the associates (needed) and also some form of website director person so we can hopefully redesign the website and update the content on it more regularly (triple needed).

10:58 Okay, your 12 minute check-in. Guess what. We’re still talking about the budget. It’s amazing all the thought and work everyone is putting into something so dry.  I’ll spare all of you, however. Trust me, all the reps want to be sure ASM does not misuse or abuse the segregated fee system.

10:46 8-11-3 the Amendment to add those items to the budget fails.

10:42 Amendment to restore a couple line items to the budget being considered. About $60,000 worth of line items.

10:38 Chair Williams now telling everyone to consider whether the staff position helps ASM serve students or not when considering whether or not to get rid of one of the Campus Organizer positions.

10:30 Paulson would prefer to send a budget to the SSFC that spends more money than they can spend so that they can continue the discussion. He supports Gosselin’s budget with the ASM staff position being cut. Zinn would not support dropping a staff position without further discussion.

10:24 Gosselin just finished an impressive presentation for his amendments. He went through the whole thing ahead of time and created his own document. Just a small addition snafu.

10:12 Gosselin proposes cutting some ASM staff. He says staff is one of ASM’s biggest fiscal responsibilities.

10:09 Gosselin wants $5,000 for the creative works grants program. Money to pilot this program off the ground.

10:06 Gosselin is presenting a proposal of his own. Almost a rival to the Finance Committee’s recommendations.

10:01 We’re back. Call for quorum, first.

9:49 Ten minute recess then on to debate!

9:42 Questioning has brought up the funding for different website line items. Chair Beemsterboer yielded to me and I got to describe the role of a future media specialist. Not gonna lie, he caught me off guard. I was in dream land but I believe I recovered and annunciated well. We wanna expand the content we provide on the website so that it is actually useful and interesting. Novel idea.

9:28 Rep Paulson wants to know how Finance Committee leaves room in the budget cap for any large projects? Beemsterboer believes it is the role of the Finance Committee to control the growth of the budget on a yearly basis. It’s the responsible thing to do.

9:15 Chair Junger wants a Chief of Staff to serve as a right hand man for the Chair and Vice Chair. Someone who can handle requests that fall through the cracks or serve as a proxy for them at certain meetings. They would have a yearly stipend of $5,300. “ASM is missing out on a lot of good opportunities,” Junger says.

9:12 Still with us? The reps are still in the Q & A section of the budget discussion. Just getting justifications for Chair Beemsterboer for the proposal. No debate yet.

8:55 Motion to exit rules to allow for a more fluid discussion of the budget. Gosselin just wants to alter the rules. Motion to set a provision allowing each rep to ask questions until they have no more. Unlimited follow-ups. And that passes. What will follow is a large amount of questions about individual line items on ASM’s operating budget. If you want real detail on specific line items, you will have to pursue this info through a different channel. But I’ll do my best to keep you up on any especially interesting points being made. Go get yourself a drink of water, or whatever. But please come back.

8:53 Chair Beemsterboer introducing the budget; a huge task. Basically: “We can fund everything that we want.”

8:50 Postponed until next meeting when Rep Paulson is present to speak on his proposal’s behalf. Moving on to the internal budget. I’m not a huge fan of budget talk so I’ll have to do some jumping jacks to stay awake.

8:48 Beemsterboer motions to table Paulson’s proposal regarding intern project accountability. Basically, the intent of the proposal is to make all intern projects have to be approved by Student Council.

8:47 That passes unanimously. We’ll get you details on that at a later time.

8:46 Moved on to ASM endorsement of Academic Affairs Cheaper Textbook Campaign.

8:44 22-0-0 the SACB bylaws passes. Not to say it isn’t important but it’s only marginal to most students. Only affects groups trying to get office space in the SAC.

8:39 Still working on the SACGB bylaws. Minor changes.

8:37 Okay, they have now stricken one word. Are making amotion to strike one other word from another line. This could take a while. Trust me, this is not so interesting as you might think. You can contact SACGB Chair Vollrath for the full wording on the bylaw changes if you want.

8:35 Still on specific wording of SACGB bylaws. Now Chair rules you can only strike successive words from on amendment. Gosselin challenges this decision.

8:31 So far GSSF groups have had more access to space. However, the number of staff and advisors is not a good criteria for deciding if a group needs space. They want that criteria changed.

8:29 Changes made to ensure groups who actually use their space get allocated space in the SAC.

8:26 Starting Q& A about SACGB space allocation bylaw changes.

8:24 Open nominations is closed. Moving on to  nominations by Noms Board for the SSFC (that committee is filling up fast), Student Judiciary and Finance Committee. Adopted by unanimous consent. I’ll get you all those names later.

8:22 Rep Bemis nominated and appointed to Shared Governance. Rep. Ademaj appointed to Academic Affairs. Ademaj also appointed to Nominations Board. Rep. Peters appointed to SSFC.

8:21 Rep Smith nominated and appointed to SSFC.

8:20 Rep Maxwell Love nominates himself for the Diversity Committee and that is accepted.

8:18 Okay, that is on. Another Liveblog for you before Thanksgiving! You lucky dogs.

8:17 Now on topic of rescheduling meeting scheduled for day before Thanksgiving. Chair Johnson makes motion to move meeting to next Wednesday.

8:16 They also add the proposal for external representatives to sit and speak at Council meetings. And the agenda is adopted!

8:15 That passes, as well. Lordy, this agenda is growing like a rabbit’s family tree(nailed that simile)

8:14 That also passes. Gosselin wants Council members appointment to committees moved onto the agenda.

8:11 That passes. Chair Sharpe wants to get Noms Board nominations for SSFC on the agenda.

8:09 That passes, too. Secretary Gosselin makes the motion to move budget up on the agenda.

8:07 That passes. It is now added. Chair Zinn makes motion to add resolution regarding Cheaper Textbook campaign.

8:04 Chair Johnson moves to add an ALRC legislation to the agenda.

7:55 Chair Vollrath says about half of SAC space is up for allocation reconsideration soon. Junger calls for short recess.

7:51 Final speaker: SSFC Rep. Carl Fergus speaks about SACGB bylaws. Wants 3.07(7)c to remain intact. Involves sapce allocation procedures for office space in the SAC.

7:49 Mark Woulf speaks about the student citizen vote on ALRC. Hopes students take the position seriously.

7:46 WISPIRG chair speaks about healthcare issues. Holding healthcare event with other student orgs tomorrow. Tammy Baldwin will be speaking at around 4 p.m.

7:42 Jan Van Tol from the SLAC speaks in favor of supporting equal rights for all UW workers.

7:38 Open Forum extended 10 minutes. 6 speakers left on the list.

7:35 The problem is people working 2nd or 3rd shift can’t get off to attend the functions and these shifts are filled by a high percentage of minority workers. So monorities are basically being left out of union events.

7:27 Another food service worker, union steward speaks. Addresses possible discrimination in Facilities management. Is there racism in the promoting of workers in this UW department?

7:23 Reps have a lot of questions for this gentleman. Man claims it is not a staffing issue that has required UW to not allow workers to attend union events.

7:16 Memorial Union kitchen cook speaks about rights and respect for all workers on campus: Everyone should be allowed to attend union events.

7:11 ASM Finance Committee Intern speaks. Goes through some numbers for the internal budget. You know what? We’ll get plenty of these numbers as we actually go through the meeting.

7:09 Speaker feels ASM needs to advertise the interpreter service for student orgs so students utilize this service.

7:03 McBurney staff member speaks. Says it is getting easier for student orgs to provide interpreters b/c of this funding. ASM should consider that when debating the budget tonight.

7:00 Student says it is hard to get a sign-language interpreter while at student activities b/c the groups themselves have to come up with the funds to pay for the interpreters. Claims this is an ineffective system.

6:59 Technical difficulties. Gotta move the speakers podium back. Chair Sharpe steps up to the task.

6:55 First open forum speaker. ASM intern with Diversity Committee. Wants accomodation funds to stay at current level so accessibility to activities for students with disabilities can stay at an effective level.

6:52 He’s now Rep. Sam Peters.

6:51 Sam Peters being sworn in. Rise, young sir!

6:50 Nominations Board looking to fill 2 seats for Student Council. Join this fun and send in your applications.

6:48 Chair Junger announces that Rep. Katrina Flores has resigned. And a moment of silence as a show of respect for our troops on this Veteran’s Day. Thank you for your service.

6:46 While we wait, everyone should know that Lisa Bahr makes some baller chocolate pumpkin cupcakes. No joke….And we’re off! A gavel strike rings through the air.

6:43 Overeager Junger psychs everyone out with premature gaveling. Just playin’!

6:39 There are cupcakes! Meeting has started yet though. Hang tough.

Tonight’s gonna be a good night!

So many faces today! We’ve got new reps waiting to be sworn in. We’ve got the regulars. We’ve got a bunch of people against the walls who I’ve never seen before. And this place is hopping!

Seriously, I think everyone is jacked to debate the internal budget. Are you. You better be, butterbean.

We’re gonna start this dance soon.

Advertisements
11 Comments leave one →
  1. Lisa B permalink
    November 11, 2009 8:53 pm

    You’re welcome for the cupcakes.

    • Friendly Neighborhood Press Office Director permalink*
      November 11, 2009 8:55 pm

      Hark! Do I hear an angel?

  2. Required permalink
    November 11, 2009 9:56 pm

    You’re thanking Katrina Flores for quitting ASM? What happened to all of the election promises?

    • November 11, 2009 11:11 pm

      The thank you is intended for the veterans that we had a moment of silence for, not Katrina Flores.

  3. November 11, 2009 9:56 pm

    8:53: We CAN’T fund everything we want, PO Harris.

    • Friendly Neighborhood Press Office Director permalink*
      November 11, 2009 10:20 pm

      I think it goes without saying that no organization can fund everything it wants.

  4. Ms. Otto permalink
    November 11, 2009 11:43 pm

    I can’t believe I missed the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes!!! That Lisa 🙂

  5. November 11, 2009 11:48 pm

    @10:46 8-11-3*

    Way to go, Ken! haha

    • Friendly Neighborhood Press Office Director permalink*
      November 11, 2009 11:51 pm

      Oopsies. Fixed.

  6. Katy Ziebell permalink
    November 11, 2009 11:21 pm

    “We must master teh interwebz”

    great line blogmaster Harris

    • Friendly Neighborhood Press Office Director permalink*
      November 11, 2009 11:25 pm

      Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: